Celebrity Memoirs –
As the decade comes to a close, we tend to be very reflected of the last 10 years. I have seen countless “Look at me 10 years ago posts” on social media. I enjoy listening to and reading celebrity memoirs and masterclasses. I think as much as it is beneficial to look back at our own lives, it is great to hear other stories of success. These stories amaze me and I have come to realize how many years it takes to be an “Overnight Success”.
- Trevor Noah – Born A Crime – I loved this book so much. I laughed, I cried, and I was incredibly inspired. This book is considered a love letter to Trevor’s mother Patricia Noah. I recommend you listen to the award-winning audiobook version of this book because he often uses his native tongue Xhosa. Trevor also adapted his story for young readers in another version of this. I have not read the young readers edition but I think it is worth checking out if you have a teen or preteen.
- Tiffany Haddish – The Last Black Unicorn – Tiffany Haddish is a comedian and tells her story with a lot of humor. Tiffany had a rough upbringing. She tells her story in a matter that helps you navigate sensitive topics. She grew up in foster care and is no doubt a model of success and determination. I also recommend the audiobook version of this (Which was nominated for a Grammy Award).
- Taraji P. Henson – Around The Way Girl: A Memoir – I just love Taraji P. Henson’s story. She was a young single mom and chased after her lifelong dream of being a star. Taraji’s story of true grit, determination, and being authentically true to yourself can inspire anyone to go after their dreams.
- Gabrielle Union – We’re Going to Need More Wine: Stories That Are Funny, Complicated, and True – OMG, I don’t know how I stumbled upon this book, but I loved it so much and did not want it to end. If you ever looked at the roles Gabrielle plays and thought, she was a mean girl or thought she carries herself with a tough exterior I encourage you to read her story. I do not want to give much of it away, but I admire her ability to stand up and tell her story.
- Tyra Banks Perfect Is Boring: 10 Things My Crazy, Fierce Mama Taught Me About Beauty, Booty, and Being a Boss – Tyra Banks and her mother Carolyn London are so cute in this book. They make a great duo. This is about Tyra’s journey to be a supermodel and how she kept reinventing herself when the industry told her no or her time was up. It is told from the perspective of single mother and daughter. Very inspiring.